Boys entering Std. VIII have to opt between taking up Social Service or Scouts as part of CCA. This activity then continues till Std. X.
The aim of carrying out a Social Service Program is to make the boys aware of their responsibilities towards the Society. Under the able guidance of a Staff member, the boys learn to care & help maintain their surroundings. One period of every week is dedicated to Social Service.
Here are a few activities carried out by boys opting for Social Service:
Within the School
- Keeping the school campus clean
- Marking the sports ground for sports events
- Helping with various school functions
Outside the School (once a year)
- Selecting a nearby village and educating the inhabitants on the importance of cleanliness
- Choosing a historical monument or location and undertaking a cleanliness drive
“Be Prepared”- the scout motto – forms the base to build and develop a boy’s abilities. The school conducts a physical test of all boys wanting to join the Loyola Scouts troop. Along with regular Bharat Scouts training, the boys have to attend one trek and one camp every year. They train in basic survival techniques, and even learn to cook their own food. A few parents volunteer to supervise and instruct the boys on the basics of cooking beforehand. (No one goes hungry!). The scouts also help in the smooth organisation of various school functions.